Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Scotland

I wouldn't exactly say that Scotland gave us a "warm" welcome, but this country very quickly amazed us. The people are warm and friendly despite the not-so warm weather. The scenery is breath-taking, and we've been here for just a few short hours.

Our new rental car is even smaller than the last, but the little hatchback will be perfect for parking and for these narrow roads. She's also a bit newer than the last and seems to be much more forgiving for we manual novices.

Our route got us out of Glasgow quickly and into the quiet surroundings of Loch Lomond. So of course, I've been singing, "Oh ye'll take the high road and I'll take the low road, and I'll be in Scotland afore ye. For me and my true love will never meet again, on the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond." It turns out that this sweet, soft song is actually a sad tale. At one point in the violent history of this country, the rebels were taken to London for trial. They were all executed and their bodies taken back to Scotland along the "high road," while all the loved ones who had gone to see the trials returned on another road. Despite the depressing lyrics, this lake and its stunning backdrop hold true to "bonnie, bonnie," or beautiful.


After the curvy road along the lake, the landscape changed dramatically as we came into the Scottish Highlands. I'm not sure how to describe the valley we drove through today, and I know there are many more incredible drives in the Highlands, but, wow. Wow was all I could say as we drove through the striking landscape of mountain peaks, emerald green grass, babbling creeks, and sheer rock faces. The fog was thick and disguised the top of the mountains but made the views more mystical. Photos can not possibly capture the grandness of the landscape, but I'll continue throughout my time here to do my best to capture it.


Our B&B for the night is in Glencoe and our window overlooks the lake; it is just perfect! And my Highland Game Pie including all sorts of local meats from venison to pheasant to pigeon seasoned with local flavors as well including blackberries. I loved Ireland, but I'm equally thrilled to now be in Scotland. 


No comments:

Post a Comment