Friday, June 4, 2021

RANDOM STATES

It's become a tradition.  Instead of asking, "So, Rebecca, what are you doing for the summer?", it has become, "So, Rebecca, where are you off to this summer?"  Usually, my response is met with praise, excitement and a tinge of jealousy.  This year, I have gotten more looks of confusion, even though, let's face it, most of us are up for going just about anywhere right now.

My dear friend, Niki, shared a challenge with us years ago that she was working on completing: See 50 states and 50 countries by the time she turns 50.  I loved this challenge, and immediately accepted it as my own.  Well, I'm at the point now, with 45 states under my belt, that now I'm headed to see some that are not usually on the top of anyone's bucket list.  Sure, I still have Hawaii left to see, but I wasn't sure how to work that into a road trip as of yet...  Thankfully, my ever-faithful travel buddy, Jessica, has accepted this challenge as her own as well, so I do not have to venture out on my own!  While the world continues to deal with a global pandemic, we decided it was not the best of times to travel internationally, yet, so, we decided it would be the perfect year to check off some of those "random states."

I decided to drive out to Denver instead of fly to Jessica, partly because of the fun of road-tripping and seeing new places, but I will admit, a larger part of it is so that I do not have to worry about limiting my packing.  I am a horrible packer, a what-if packer.  If one is needed, then three must be necessary.  Plus, we're going to be doing a lot of camping on this trip, and well, the way we camp is not the kind that fits in a backpack.  Most people refer to the kind of camping we do as "car camping".  Meaning, we sleep happily in a tent, but the car, loaded down with everything we could possibly need, is parked right next to us.  So, fitting all of that into a suitcase and onto a plane seemed a bit out of the question.  In fact, fitting all of that into my tiny hatchback car seemed a little bit of a squeeze.  So, my parents, VERY generously, let me borrow their minivan.  Trust me, I can even hear the jealousy in your fingertips as you're scrolling and reading that.  I know you're picturing yourself driving cross-country on the open road in a sexy minivan with sliding back doors and cup holders for all of the sippy cups.  Sure, it may not be the most appealing thing for a single gal to drive, but when you're idea of packing light means only taking half your belongings, then packing for a month-long trip with camping gear, a minivan is perfect. 

While there may not be a whole lot of "destinations" where we are headed, using websites like Atlas Obscura and Road Trippers gave us a plethora of destinations, most of which include seeing the largest of something.  I guess, in wide open spaces, might as well create the "World's Largest ___" whenever possible.

You've probably got some guesses as to where these random states may be, but for now, I'll leave that for the upcoming posts.  I am notorious about letting my blogs slip, not finishing the entire trip.  I'm determined to see this one through this year, even if it means finishing it from my couch upon my return.  I love blogging on my trips, as much for myself, as a record of my travels, but I truly appreciate you following along as well.

Let the tour of "Random States" begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment