Thursday, July 9, 2009

Seattle

I love to travel (if you haven't figured that out yet). Whenever I travel, I seem to create memories that stick with me for years to come. I am learning, the more I travel, the more I remember my other travels and perhaps that is in fact one of the reasons I enjoy traveling.

Today, as we boarded the "terminal train" in the Atlanta airport, I was reminded of the metros and subways that my friends and I conquered last summer, particularly the snaking train in Berlin. I remembered how much fun we had trying to pretend that we were surfing, and trying not to hold on to anything. On our flight today, I was reminded of the only time I have been to Seattle, when my mother and I had a lay-over here on our way to Alaska. After landing in Seattle, in our taxi ride into the city, I was reminded of how excited I was on our taxi ride from the Paris airport last year as we entered the great city of lights. And as we walked the streets of Seattle by the local market, I was reminded of the wonderful summer I spent in Florence, and of the many delicious lunches I selected from the market. So, while I love to travel and see new places, the joy of reliving the memories from past trips is equally as wonderful.

When I told people that my parents and I were coming to Washington this summer, most of them asked, "What's in Washington?" To be honest, right now, I'm not really sure. I am excited to see and to learn though! How did we end up here? Well, Mom doesn't like heat or lines, and with the economy, we didn't think that this was the year for international travel. So, that is sort of how we ended up here.

I am really excited because we will be spending some time in the city, then also in quiet, remote places where we can enjoy the beauty of the world around us. I love a great mixture!

Seattle is a beautiful, clean city that seems very walkable. I love being able to step out of the hotel and just walk around and enjoy urban life.

I'm sure that this travel blog will not be as exciting as my ones to Europe and Honduras, but I do hope that I will be able to share some about a part of the country that maybe you have not yet visited. Or perhaps, it can just remind you of some of your own travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment