Saturday, July 11, 2009

To Market!

I love walking through markets. I don't always have to buy something, it is more the experience. The people. The aromas. The life in the market. I love seeing people as they purchase fresh foods for their dinner, or for a special occasion. I am always impressed with the people who set up and take down all of the beautiful foods each morning and evening, what dedication. I didn't know what to expect in Seattle, but I have certainly found some great places!

We are staying at a wonderful Inn that is right next to a very large market. This market is famous for their "fish throwers." These men have one of the smelliest jobs around, and yet they have made it fun. They yell and sing and throw fish back and forth, it's a pleasure to watch someone who really loves what he/she is doing. The flowers in this market are astounding, beautifully arranged and incredibly affordable. I know if I lived this close to a market with flowers like these, I would have a fresh arrangement on my table at least once a week.

During our exploration in the market I also got to sample "Oh My God" Peaches, dark chocolate pasta, balsamic vinegar, honey from a straw, olive oils and breads. It was all wonderful, and who doesn't love a "shopping day" where you can taste your way through the store?

We wandered around the city the rest of the day, to Pioneer Square and Chinatown, then down to the water. I am so impressed with how clean this large city is. Not only is there not a lot of trash, but I don't even feel that much smog. I am also surprised with the very large population of homeless people wandering the streets. A city that sees rain most of the year does not seem like a place where one without a roof over his/her head would want to be. On the other hand though, seeing so many homeless people makes me think that the people of Seattle are a warm, welcoming bunch who give and take care of those around them. We have not felt unsafe at all, but maybe a little uncomfortable (probably caused by guilt).

One of my favorite stops during the day was at an old book store. No, it was not a store necessarily for old books, just a book store that had been there for decades. I loved walking on the worn hardwood floors that creaked, and rubbing the wooden shelves that were smooth from all the hands that had searched for the perfect book. It is neat to be in a place that you can tell has been loved and cherished by many for so long.

During our stroll through the market, we purchased some local cheeses, fresh breads, and local wines. Our hotel has a wonderful veranda, where we found a table and toasted the sunset with our delicious purchases. It was a beautiful way to end a great day!

This morning, we drove east of the city to some beautiful falls. The falls were breath-taking, but what was even more incredible was the woods on the way to the falls. The hike was quite strenuous at times, but through an old forest with huge, moss-covered trees and ferns that often equaled my height. It was quiet in the forest, and the path was well worn from many previous travelers.

On our drive home, we stopped at a winery, Chateau St. Michelle and learned a little bit more about the wine-making process, which I still don't really understand, although I have heard the process many times. Most of the wineries here actually grow the grapes in a different part of the state, a dryer area. So, we got to see the winery, but not the actual vineyard.

We all have our addictions, whether they be good or bad. I know I am addicted to Facebook, and honey. For some it is alcohol, shopping or even trivia games. The people of Seattle are addicted to coffee. I have never seen so many coffee places. Not just Starbucks, but what seems like thousands of others! We couldn't drive a mile today without passing four or five coffee places. There is at least one on every block in the city - it is really amazing. I guess it is a shame that I don't like coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment