Sunday, June 29, 2014

Herman

Six years ago, when I was traveling to Europe, my cousins Laura and her young daughter, Ann Wright gave me a traveling partner, a little blue elephant that can easily fit in my purse. I took pictures of Herman everywhere we went, and he began to gather quite a collection of photographs.

As the years progressed, Herman became a part of my classroom, one of the students' favorite parts of the classroom in fact. Herman would travel the world at night, then send us photographs of where he had been. He would appear somewhere in the PowerPoint on the screen during the day, surprising students and offering interesting facts about a new destination. Students' curiosity about new places, new cultures, new people was automatically piqued.

Herman now has his own Instagram account (@whereisherman) so that former students can continue to follow the travels of this little elephant. For this upcoming road trip, he'll even be sending postcards to the first person who correctly guesses where he is!

We are both looking forward to exploring beautiful places in our own country! 

No comments:

Post a Comment