Saturday, June 19, 2010

Cold Showers

I am a morning person; in fact my old roommate likened me to a Disney princess, waking up singing with the birds. However, I do typically like to ease my way into the mornings. This morning, I was the first one up, and so the first one in the shower. I knew cold showers were a possibility on this trip, but early in the morning, I did not think about it. As I stepped in, a sudden chill came over me, and my typically perky morning attitude wavered.

Then, I was flooded with memories of my Honduras trip last summer where we had also “endured” cold showers. The knobs in the shower there read “F” and “C” (frio and caluroso), which the vivacious Mia had determined actually meant a phrase that I don’t care to repeat…

I was also reminded of last May when my water heater went out. At the time though, I was raising baby ducks, and so after much time with them, I was so gross that the temperature did not matter!

So, as I’m dodging the cold water in the shower this morning, a smile began to creep back over my face and my morning demeanor returned.

Isn’t it funny how one thing can lead to something else? And how one memory can make you feel warm all over, even in a cold shower?

Tonight, after dinner, we returned to our bunk-bed filled room and played spoons, or pens in this case. I remember playing for hours, during our breaks in high school. Of course we didn’t carry spoons, so the wide variety of items in the center of the group was always entertaining. Everything from chapstick to pens to combs, whatever we could find.

I’m so looking forward to the wonderful memories I’m creating on this trip that I know I’ll get to relive for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment