Wednesday, June 23, 2010

New Friends


For me, mission trips are all about connecting to people. Yes, there have been trips where it was more about building or fixing things, but even then, you make connections. It is so wonderful to be traveling with a group of people who share a similar faith, but who also have different relationships with God. I’m loving getting to hear different perspectives. I know I’m growing in my faith through my connections, and those are just with the team I came with.

Most of the team, I knew very well before we arrived. I have really enjoyed getting to know everyone though, especially those that I grew up knowing, but since I was a good bit older, I never really “knew” them. At first, everyone was quiet, a little reserved, but by this point in the week, our true personalities are coming out. We are telling stories, poking fun of each other, using sarcasm, sharing our common memories and laughing a lot.

Rhett is the missionary here that we have been working with. He grew up in Birmingham, went to seminary, and soon after graduation he moved to Panama. He has now been here for twenty-five years. What an amazing calling! He has been a wonderful tour guide, and also a wonderful story-teller. I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to get to know him.

Chalino (whose real name is Alexander) is our bus driver. He doesn’t speak a lot of English, but his bright-white smile and infectious laughter make communication easy. He can do amazing maneuvers with the bus on narrow roads, and he can keep us laughing without ever saying much more than a word.

I cannot imagine the pressure of naming a child, but I also can’t imagine the pressure of being named after Jesus. Our seventeen-year-old translator seems up to the task though. Jesus, in many ways is your typical teen with cool clothes, stylish hair, sarcasm, and up-to-date technology. On the other hand though, he is great with the kids, easily communicates with the adults and does a beautiful job of translating.

Besides these members of the team, my connections with the kids are growing stronger everyday. Today I was able to not only tell the story of the lost sheep, but I got to play duck-duck-goose, dance, sing, make sheep from handprints, and do the hokey pokey with the kids. Their smiles, their laughs are like a sweet nectar to me. I want to drink it all in!

This morning, before Bible School, we went to a canyon about an hour away. The canyon had water rushing through the bottom that had worn away rocks along the edge so precisely that it looked as though it was carved. The rocks were easy to climb around on, which made for an adventuresome spirit and some fun exploring.

After Bible School, and a quick change, we headed up the road to the white sandy beaches. The beach was lovely, and the mixture of white and black sand made for a beautiful combination. Just off shore, row boats with big fishing nets were anchored. A small island with a cross on top and lots of birds topped off the picture. Luke-warm ocean water was the perfect way to cool off after a day in the hot sun with energetic children. But it didn’t compare to the black sand beaches. Why? Because there were people and lots of signs as people. None the less though, it was a great way to spend the evening.

So to recap, our day went something like this: canyon, ice cream, Bible School, beach, devotion, grocery store, McDonalds and then an assembly line for the crafts we’re doing tomorrow. And oh yes! I did the Macarena on the beach with Jesus. (Whoever thought those words would all be in the same sentence?)

No comments:

Post a Comment