Friday, June 25, 2010

"Give me reason; take me higher"

I love music. If you know me at all, you know that there is usually a song in my head, and quite often, my feet are moving along as well. I love how songs can hold wonderful memories – perhaps singing loud in a car with a best friend, being in a certain place, a dance with a special someone, or just a good memory.

When I hear “Waiting on the World to Change,” I think of my students singing along to words I hope they take to heart. “Livin’ on a Prayer always makes me think of Auburn’s 13 and 0 season, and screaming the song throughout the stadium surrounded by my sisters. When I spent the summer in Italy, Kevin Lyttle’s “Turn Me On” was playing on every corner. “Slice of Heaven” reminds me of being in New Zealand with the kiwis. I cannot hear a John Denver or Michael Buble song without thinking about the Italian/Israeli DJ named Sam. And whenever I hear “500 Miles,” I can’t help but laugh about our trek through Europe when Emily was convinced that I made her walk 500 miles. So many songs are attached to so many memories, and they always bring a smile to my face.

Jesus introduced us to a song that is being played for the World Cup. The song is wonderful, upbeat, peppy and inspirational. We have all fallen in love with it and sing it on the bus as often as possible. The second line of the song is “give me reason; take me higher.” Wow. What a beautiful, simple prayer. Today, as we were dropping off the last of the kids, Chalino busted out with the first line, I contributed the second line, and a child on the bus supplied the third. It is amazing how music can transcend languages.

This morning, we drove into a deep valley that is supposedly the world’s largest volcano created valley. The mountain rims were green, and topped with heavy white clouds that surrounded the hilltops like mist on a cool day. We went to a small zoo in the valley, which as you can only imagine was a highlight for me! We saw parrots, peacocks, turtles, ducks, sheep, rabbits, swans, raccoons, and pheasants with Egyptian styled feathers. I also fed monkeys, a taper, and an ostrich by hand. The ocelots were beautiful, and since you could go right up to the cages, I decided to make friends. She crept towards me at first, then ignored me, but then she returned to the fence. At that moment, she rubbed her head along the fence, in the same loving way my house cats do. With great caution, as her claws were still in the forefront of my mind, I reached in and rubbed her head!

The drive was very scenic, in fact Panama seems like a well kept secret. Undulating green hills are never far away from the blue ocean waters. Many times we were able to see both in the same breath-taking view along the narrow mountain road.

Today was our last day with the kiddos. I loved spending time with them this week, sharing God’s word and His love. I am truly sorry to leave them, and I can honestly say that I would have loved some more time with them. Each day, they would come running, eager and excited about the whole experience. Roberto stayed back to help me work on the journals today. He’s about seven years old with beautiful long eyelashes. He was intent on learning and having fun this week, but like those bright kids in my class, sometimes he has a hard time fitting in. We were able to communicate and enjoy a few laughs. He loved to help, and I was thrilled for some one on one time. Zussy was always the last to be dropped off on the first bus go-round, and since I always rode the bus, we enjoyed time of sharing simple words in both languages, and she even tried to teach me a dance. I couldn’t say her name without thinking of Zuzu and those significant petals of hers, which only helped me to have a special place for Zussy. Her sweet spirit and white smile will not soon leave my memory.

I was a little nervous about teaching Bible School in another language (thank heavens for Jesus who helped to overcome that barrier!). I loved every minute of it though, and felt even more assured that I’m supposed to be working with children. I feel so lucky, not only to feel like I’ve found my purpose, by calling, but also because I think I have the best job on earth. Children have a way of smiling and lighting up an entire room. Children are fun-loving, curious, energetic, funny and full of hope for a better tomorrow. Who wouldn’t want to be a teacher? I feel like teaching is the “reason” God has given me to be here. Now I’m eager to see what He does to “take me higher.”

No comments:

Post a Comment