Friday, July 3, 2015

Durham

Jessica and I were thrilled to have a day where we had nothing planned. Despite absolutely loving going and seeing new places, it is truly exhausting, so we had been looking forward to this day for days. 

After a great night's sleep, I awoke to sunshine and decided to take advantage of it. Natalie had recommended a walking trail that would take me to town and after only a couple hundred yards, I could see the cathedral in the distance. Walking about two miles toward town, past cows awaiting their breakfast, sheep grazing, vibrant poppies, forget-me-nots, and enormous thistles, I was brought into town by the river. Accordion music played as I crossed the bridge and walked up the narrow cobble-stone streets to the grand cathedral, the center of this old town. Standing in its' presence is truly breathtaking. 




After the lovely morning walk, we spent time catching up on some things including the much needed washing of our mountain climbing clothes.

Jessica and I decided, since it was still sunny, to walk back into town and picnic by the cathedral. We stopped at a local bakery where I bought cheese straws, a sausage roll, and a pork and apple pie then camped out on the lawn by the cathedral. Once again we were enthralled with the people watching around us, including the wedding occurring at the castle across the lawn from the cathedral. 



The warm sunshine and the people-watching kept us entertained for quite sometime before we wandered back by the bakery for our sweet treat and made our way back to Natalie and Paul's home. We had a lovely afternoon of catching up and discussing differences in schools and cultures. It was a perfect day, just want we wanted and needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment