Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Field Trip and Dinner

Months ago, I had corresponded with the wonderful Fiona, whose official title is secretary to the head of school, but she seems to be involved in every aspect of the school, making it run smoothly and ensuring the staff all have a good time in the process.  When I had told her I'd be at school this week, she asked if I'd like to tag-a-long for a trip the second to last day of school.  I of course jumped at the opportunity and told her that although I may not know a lot of kids, I could still count and I was happy to help out however possible.

On the second to last day of school, the entire school takes a trip. The year 5s go to small theme park nearby, the year 6s go to a big pool complex and swim for a day, and the years 7 and 8 go to a big theme park over an hour away, all to celebrate the end of school. I was thrilled to be included with the older kiddos since those are the ones I knew. I was also thrilled to really just be a bit of a warm body on the trip. I had no students that I was responsible for, but rather was just there for a bit of help should there be of any need. What a thrill to travel as a teacher with kids and yet, have virtually no responsibility. How different of a field trip!

On the bus ride, I sat with Lin, who works in the financial office of the school. She came on board just as I was leaving two years ago, so although we had met, I had never really talked with her. As we began talking, I learned more and more about her and some of her incredible adventures. She is an accomplished rower, even winning medals in world-wide competitions for her boating skills. About ten years ago, she pursued a new dream and rowed across the Atlantic Ocean with just one other woman. After three years of meticulous planning, the two women set off on the expedition from the Canary Islands. They landed in the Caribbeans seventy-six days later, winning awards for their speed. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing her tales about eating and bathing on board, the emotional highs and lows of the journey, and the wildlife they encountered.

When we arrived at the park, I was immediately taken aback by the hoards of coaches that were unleashing crowds and crowds of teenagers. Yes, it was a truly terrifying vision. Thankfully, after we got in and made sure the kids knew where and when they were to check back in, we had several hours to wander with little responsibility. Several of us went and got a snack and some tea and hot chocolate. Again, unlike any field trip I'd ever been on.

Charlotte and I decided that we should take in some of the rides as well, but some of the queues for some of the rides were seemingly endless. Not being huge thrill-seekers anyway, we decided to seek out the ones that lacked long lines, and in doing so, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We rode the carousel, a cable car that went across the park and gave us good views of many of the students, a very simple little Thomas car ride, the swings and then we took a few students on a short boat road and the Ferris wheel. At the end of the day, many of our students had only ridden two or three rides due to the long queues. Sure, they may not have enjoyed our rides as much, but we rode six rides and had a blast!:)



On the bus ride back, I volunteered to sit at the back of the bus with four boys. Not just any four boys, four of my boys; boys that had been in my form, my maths class, and/or my English class. I absolutely LOVED sitting back there with them. They had all been pretty good kids when they were in my class, sure a little cheeky, but really great kids and I was thrilled to be sitting with them. They, thankfully, seemed equally happy and not horrified as might be expected. Two of them seemingly bought their weight in sweets at the park, but since they generously shared with those around them, myself included, I didn't complain. One of the boys had his phone out and by his concentration, I could tell her was playing some sort of game. When I enquired about it, the boys explained to me that they were using the calculator (not a game at all) trying to find a word that added to exactly 100 (if the letters corresponded to a number, i.e. A=1, B=2, etc.). This teacher's heart leapt with joy. These boys had invented a game, a maths game none the less, and were enjoying the group challenge. After quite sometime, we came up with the word "drizzle" as a solution, although, please feel free to double check me!:) We discussed their summer travel plans, and I once again was enthralled hearing about their plans. My students at home are quite affluent and often take big trips during the summer, but rarely are they out of the country. Here, students can be in completely different cultural settings in a flight shorter than our drive to the beach. What cultural kiddos they are! Sure, a day in a theme park surrounded by teenagers then being trapped in the back of the bus with four teenage boys for an hour and a half may seem hellacious to some, but to me, it couldn't have been further from that.

I have been surprised how quickly my British has come back.  Yes, I realize they speak English here, but there are rather large differences in our terminology, and sometimes it seems like a different language.  It took me months to get used to calling the trash can a rubbish bin, the restrooms a toilet, a vacation a holiday, a wallet a purse, a purse a handbag, powdered sugar icing sugar, a pickle a gherkin, and my most embarrassing mistake, pants as trousers.  Thankfully, although I still have to think a bit before speaking, most of my terms are coming back fairly quickly.

Charlotte, Charlotte's mum and I were invited to Kelly's house for dinner. Kelly has had some major life changes in the past two years, mostly getting married and moving into a new home. She no longer lives in the place I had called home for a year, but now lives with her husband Phil whom I had not yet had the pleasure of meeting.  Kelly is a truly phenomenal cook and she prepared a gorgeous meal for us.  Besides the lovely meal though, it was the conversations I enjoyed the most.  I loved hearing about their wedding, differences she found in the cultures and in the schools, catching up about friends and colleagues, and hearing about travel plans. Kelly and I will always have a strong bond because of the experience we went through.  For a year, we lived one another's lives, so the bond between runs deep, and I'm thankful for it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment