Monday, July 13, 2015

School

Typically, just before returning to school in August, I tend to have school-related nightmares. I'm afraid it's a symptom most teachers deal with. We are so devoted to the career we love that the school day, planning and children begin even to invade our dreams. Last night, despite the fact that still have a few weeks before I begin teaching, I had some anxiety dreams about school, anxious no doubt about returning to the school were I spent a great year. Anxious about how the kids would react, if I would remember all those I should and how I would blend in with the staff who I have missed for the past two years.

There was no reason for me to be anxious. When we arrived, I eagerly bounced around to classrooms hugging the teachers who had made me feel so at home. Monday mornings there are staff briefings, same as when I was here, so I took a seat amongst the staff. Staff members wandered in and did a double take upon seeing my face, first thinking I was supposed to be there, then realizing in fact that my two years absence had happened. 

I had sort of hoped to surprise all the students and pop out to see them, but this was impossible with the structure of the school. There was no way I could get from the staff room to Charlotte's room with out being seen. It was still a delight though! Charlotte is a form tutor (home room teacher) to a year 7 class (6th grade) and since I was a year 5 form tutor when I was here, many of my students are now in her class along with students I taught maths (yes, mathS) and English to. Kids who knew me dropped their jaws and stared in amazement. More and more students wandered in and said, "Someone told me they saw you!" Whispers of "Miss Smith" spread around the school and kids were eagerly looking out for me. 

For the first lesson of the day, I stayed with Charlotte in music as she was teaching another year 7 class. Knowing even more of these kids, I loved being with them, sitting next to a pupil who had given me quite the struggle. The pupils, in their last music lesson of the year were practicing singing a song in a group, so I got to move around and visit with them, watch them and then judge the singing contest. I really have missed them! One of my boys said something about seeing "my" Auburn Tigers all over the social media video app, Vine. I'm so glad the brainwashing stuck!:)

For the rest of the morning, I wandered around the school popping into lessons whenever I thought it would be least-distracting, being helpful if at all possible, watching a short presentation by some year 8 students and then walking to the village for a bite of lunch. The Woburn Sands village High Street is a lovely little street complete with a couple restaurants, cafes, shops, a dry cleaner, library, flower shop and a post office. It's the perfect size: including all you need but contained in a small, lovely area. The bakery was a frequent stop for me, and I was excited for another sausage roll! 

Lunch in the staff room was always a treat. I must admit I'm jealous of that time as back home, I'm still on "duty" during lunch. I love the commradary that forms when teachers can spend time together chatting without pupils around. Today was even better than it was two years ago as I had zero work to do and zero responsibility to race off to. 

I enjoyed the afternoon assembly where the Fulbrook band performed beautifully, but even more so, I enjoyed the grins of recognition. Pupils whom I had not yet seen looked at me with a bit of shock and excitement, turned a bit red then grinned and waved.

I watched a short play put on by the French Club then spent the remaining part of the afternoon popping in and out of classrooms and trying to help wherever possible.

After the school bell rang, I went back into the staffroom to sit with other members of staff as they wound down from the day. There was a knock on the staff door and I was surprised that I was the staff member needed. I opened the door to one of my most precious kiddos, Bertie. He was in my enrichment class on Friday afternoons, but as such, he was now off in an upper school. His brother, whom I had never met, is a young pupil at Fulbrook and must have told him I was there. Bertie had fallen in love with my tales of the Auburn Tigers, so much so that he had redecorated his bedroom to show his support. He said he now had ESPN and when games weren't really late, he was enjoying watching them. What a treat to see such a sweet kiddo!

I knew that the staff were happy to see me, but I also knew that my arrival would bring with it some expectations. I had treated the staff several times throughout the year to a few southern treats and I was eager to once again share some with them. So, Charlotte and I made a run to my usual grocery store, the massive Tesco down the street, then went home and commenced to making sausage and cheese balls and chocolate peanut butter fudge. The response I've gotten is already pretty great!:)



Charlotte and I ran over to the neighboring village of Olney to pick up dinner. It is in this village where John Newton was pastor of the village church and where his famous hymn, "Amazing Grace" was first sung. The bells of the church chimed wildly and beautifully as we arrived, but as it was twenty past the hour, we were a bit confused. The fish and chip's lady suggested it was perhaps the night the bell ringers practiced, which made since considering their melodious sounds were still ringing throughout the village when we headed home with our deliciously greasy meal ten minutes later. 

I think my dreams tonight will only be happy ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment