Friday, July 10, 2015

Farewell Nessie, I'm headed home

This morning we had to do something that we had both truly been dreading: pack. Sure, we have been living out of a suitcase now for three weeks, but for the past two weeks, we have been living out of Nessie, our lovely car. She contained all our clothes and treasures that we have just tossed into the back, only taking in each night what we needed. Our hotel room was on the third floor and there were very few parking spaces there, which meant, our best bet was actually to pack our bags in the car park. Sure, I may have had my treasures and clothes strewn about the pavement this morning, but I did, with a little muscle power, get the suitcase zipped up once again. Although, somehow, it seems to have gained a bit of weight...

We had originally planned to spend some time in Chester where we were dropping Nessie off, but everything always takes longer than planned, so by the time we found the train station and Hertz location, we had just a little bit of time and all of our luggage. I must admit that I was quite torn telling Nessie goodbye. On the one hand, I was thrilled to be finished with driving as it has certainly been a tad stressful at times, but on the other hand, not only does it signify a big milestone in our trip, but it is lovely having the freedom of a car. And also, I really grew to love Nessie, bless her. She was so very forgiving to this automatic-American driver, gently reminding me to change gears, giving me a few seconds before rolling back on hills, and only stalling once during our more than two weeks and nearly 1400 miles together.


We waved goodbye to Nessie and headed to the train station, our first train journey of the trip and where we would part ways. Jessica and I have spent just about every moment together for the past three weeks. We've done so well together and had an absolute blast, so separating today seemed odd. It is perfect, too, though that we can both go "home" to our friends, colleagues and students, but knowing we'll be back together in about a week with new stories to share. Jessica boarded a train to Hull and I went to find mine to Milton Keynes.

I really love traveling by rail, and I wish that our country did more of it. I got increasingly confident with trains during my time here, but having a large suitcase with crowds around me, made me a bit anxious. There were some issues with the train and it ended up being a little late, then different train officials told me opposite ends of the train to find my reserved seat. In the end, platform emptying out, I jumped on a car, found a spot for my luggage and for myself, then heard the announcement apologizing that seat reservations had not worked on the train. Oh well, just a few minutes of anxiety, then I had an hour and a half to sit without having to think.

The closer I got to Milton Keynes the more my excitement grew. I was headed home, or at least to the place that I had called home for a year, the place where I had friends to see and the joy of familiarity. The year I spent in the area was a true challenge, but the reward of being here completely overshawded any difficult days. I believe my biggest challenge though was the loss of familiarity. Something as simple as grocery shopping was a task as name brands and container measurements were all completely different. It is funny now that coming here brings with it a feeling of familiarity when for a year, I struggled with that loss of familiarity.

As the scenery became increasingly familiar, my excitement seemed to bubble out of my chest. I got my luggage and went and stood by the door for longer than I needed to, ready to jump off the train as soon as it stopped. The train station in Milton Keynes was one I had frequented many times so I was able to hop off and quickly find my way to the door where a line of taxis was waiting to take me to meet up with my friends.

In my summer dress, excited for finally a little warmth and sunshine, the cab driver asked me about where I was from and why I was visiting. He asked if my family was Italian, no doubt because of my dark skin. I say this with a great deal of laughter and sarcasm. Sure, I had spent the first three weeks of the summer at the lake, darkening my skin tone, but I have and will always be one of the palest amongst my family and friends. And I have been in the land of clouds and drizzle for three weeks now. I loved the comment though and decided to appreciate being considered "tan" for as long as possible.

We pulled up to Wavendon Arms, a pub just down the road from school where I met a crew of about a dozen colleagues who had come to greet me. It was a gorgeous afternoon, perfect for sitting outside with a cold drink, and I was so incredibly thankful that they each took time after a long day of school to come and greet me. I loved catching up with them all, hearing about school, their summer plans and the time that had raced quickly by in the past two years. It truly does not seem like two years since I have seen these lovely people; besides some hair changes, it almost seemed like just last week I was here.

Charlotte, who has graciously offered to host me this week, and I headed back to her lovely home in a village about twenty minutes away. Gemma, one of our dear friends, joined us soon after our arrival and the three of us dived into conversation as if we had not at all skipped a beat. We laughed, giggled and cackled throughout the evening accompanied by Indian take-away and some bubbly before finally falling into bed late this evening. I am so incredibly thankful to have such wonderfully loyal friends, who, despite my long absence, have lovingly welcomed me home once again.


No comments:

Post a Comment