Friday, June 9, 2017

A New Country

We only had a short few hours this morning before we had to get ready for our travels to a new country. We decided that rather than travel to a distant part of the city, we would instead wander nearby to the Kampong Glam area known for their artwork and as the unofficial Islamic part of town. Narrow store fronts lined the roads, most brimming with beautiful, brightly colored fabric. Store after store after store was packed with fabric, often with sequins and beading, draped across mannequins. How you begin to choose, I have no idea!

  

We enjoyed some browsing in stores and through the bazar tents, then decided we must try a Singapore Sling before we left. We enjoyed one at a lovely Turkish restaurant in the Islamic Center of town. Singapore, a true example of diversity.


We once again conquered the MRT and made our way to the airport. Despite some anxious moments and quick-paced walking, we boarded our two-hour plane ride to Thailand with no problems. Flying into Thailand was amazing. I enjoyed Singapore, but I was ready to get out of the city and see God's creations. We flew over incredible greenery, but unlike the quilt patches of Ireland, this green was tropical. Lands that looked wild with trees unlike ones I see at home, but upon closer inspection, you could see that even the giant palm trees were often in uniform rows. The land was remarkably flat, except the bits of land that just jutted upward, perhaps a giant mole came along and poked up through the dirt in search of something leaving hills and towers of rock haphazardly scattered around the flat land.

Jessica and I were waiting in line at Immigration looking through our passports, a typical pastime for us both. I probably have about 40 stamps in my book. Not representing that many countries, but rather the reentry into my own. Almost all of the stamps are black. A small handful are blue, but my one favorite is Ireland, a bright green stamp that stands out amongst the others. I told Jessica how I wished they would use a variety of ink colors to stand out. Then, the immigration officer stamped my passport with a bright purple stamp! Purple, if you did not know is, as Julia Roberts said in Steel Magnolias, my signature color. Just on this trip, I brought with me four purple packing cubes, a purple phone cord, a purple toiletries bag, a purple skirt, a purple cardigan, purple shoes, just to name a few. I'm already in love with this country and it has only been a few hours!
 

I will get to how we arrived at our hotel in a moment, but for now, let me tell you about my first impressions of this country (you know, after the purple stamp) I observed while on a short drive. First off, I'm incredibly thankful we have chosen not to drive in this country as the driving rules seemed to be lacking as much as the helmets on scooters on small children. Scooters appear to be driven by children as young as twelve, down the wrong side of the road and cutting across or through traffic as they please. The poverty and lower standard of living are quickly evident, although I know we will see worse on our journeys through this part of the world. Structures are plainly and simply built, open to allow for air movement. A goat enjoyed munching along the side of the highway and a few cows grazed in between used car lots. But, amidst all that, this country is absolutely stunning. Wild, jungle greenery with solid limestone jetting up into odd formations along the coast.

Now, for our adventurous travels to get to our current location. After researching the location of the hotel and the distance from the airport, it seemed to make the most sense to book a transfer through the hotel. We were greeted at the airport with Jessica's name on a sign and ushered to a lush minibus just for the two of us. After about 45 minutes, we were transferred to our first of many to come tuk-tuks. I'm not sure how to describe this small form of transportation. Let's try somehow combining a trailer, a golf cart, a side car and a scooter. The scooter is attached to a small, covered side car with an L-shaped bench. A short ride on this vehicle took us to the end of a long dock where we were put on our very own long boat. Our ride along the coastline was truly breathtaking. The landscape is incredible. We arrived in the cove and were greeted out in the water by a trailer attached to a tractor. The tractor took us to shore where a golf cart took us straight to the check in counter and then on to our hotel room. Yep, just a quick easy trip. Now, as to why, I have no clue, but it all came together without a glitch. We are at Railay Beach, a small sort of cove, but not an island. So why the struggle to get here? My guess is that the large, rugged rocks on the mainland side of the cove make road travel difficult.    
 

Our room is not on the beach, but very few are strictly based on how narrow the lots on the beach are, but our stunning, spacious room is worth the very short walk from the water. I'm so glad we are here for several days because we are going to relax and soak up the beauty of this magical place!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment