Sunday, June 21, 2009

From the plane...

My journey has begun! I am on a very small plane (I'm the last row at row 19), and it is just a short trip, but nevertheless, I know it is the start of so much more.

I am surrounded by high school students on their way home from a debate tournament in Birmingham. I must admit that I love listening to them talk. I know I am still very young, but high school seems so long ago, so different. Yes, they have issues facing them that they should not have to deal with, but there is still that mentality of being indestructible, unstoppable and nothing ahead but wide open roads.

Their conversations are centered around debate, not surprising I know. They have discussed their speeches, other contestants, great speeches they have heard, the tournament and college. I am truly impressed with their level of sophistication. I cannot help but think that these very students could soon be great speakers, great leaders in our country. They are our future.

And isn't that the whole reason I am embarking on this adventure? To help our children become leaders of tomorrow? To help our children see the needs in the world and see that they can make a difference?

Yes, it's a small step, but did you ever hear the story about the starfish? A storm had come across the shore and washed thousands of starfish onto the beach. One man walking along the beach came across another man on the beach who was picking the starfish up, one at a time and tossing them back into the ocean. The first man asked the second, "Why are you doing this, there is no way that you can save them all." To which the second man replied as he tossed another starfish into the ocean, "It sure made a difference to that one."

No comments:

Post a Comment