Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Honey

If you know me at all, you know that I love honey! A peanut butter and honey sandwich has been my lunch for a countless number of years. A biscuit is not complete if it is not covered in honey, a spoonful of honey coats any sore throat and I even dip my chicken fingers in honey!

Today, we left Via Gracia and headed West. Our fist stop was a co-op where they bottle honey. I had a hard time containing my excitement when I saw the barrels of honey! I learned so much about bees, the process of making honey, benefits of pollen and the bottling of honey. Sadly, I was not able to stick my face in one of the barrels, but even greater things lay in store!

The co-operative is made up of bee-keepers across the country, then the honey is mixed together to obtain a more consistent taste and color. The honey is known as the best tasting in the country.

After visiting the co-operative, we drove out to one of the bee keeper's farms. This man had started small, but through all of his hard work, and the bees, he purchased cows, plants and more land. He said he bought his first cow with 55 bottles of honey and he now has 45 hives of bees.

I absolutely loved watching this man talk about his bees-what pride and love he had for them. He seemed surprised that we wanted to see them. He was nervous they may sting us; the bees know him and do not sting him. To calm the bees, he made a small fire in a kettle-type thing, that blew smoke out. We walked right up to the hives, he uncovered one and pulled out a huge piece of beeswax dripping with fresh honey. I wish I had words to describe how good the honey tasted, but my vocabulary is not that extensive.

After that, we were off to Santa Rosa de Copan, where we would spend one night. It was a long van ride, in a hot, full van, but it was totally worth it. The scenery in this country is outstanding. It reminds me of the Emerald Isle, but even more mountains. I also enjoy passing the homes, and seeing just how life is here. I am so blessed, so spoiled. And yet, everyone I have seen and met here has a smile on his/her face. I hope I will always remember this feeling and that it will truly change my life.

Besides the countryside to entertain us, we almost split our sides listening to the most embarrassing stories, first date stories and stories about husbands and children. I really do love teachers.

We checked into the hotel and had a great meal of chicken, beans, tortillas, cheese and plantains. A few of us decided to see this cute town and ventured out to find a neat square with a beautiful church. Music caught our attention and we were drawn into a local "pub," where despite being in sweats and a t-shirt, I thoroughly enjoyed salsa dancing in front of people whose bodies were made to actually move with that Latin beat. What a great night with these new found friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment