Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Honduras!

I'm here! This country is beautiful! Coming in, I learned that Tegucigalpa is one of the most dangerous places to land. (Apparently there are YouTube videos) This is because the city is surrounded by mountains and the runway is very short. It was a smooth and beautiful landing. As we were coming in, we passed a huge statue of Jesus over-looking the city from atop a mountain.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but the mountains make a fantastic surrounding to a sad city. The poverty in this country, I knew would overwhelm me. It is horrifying to drive through a city with that much sadness, and living conditions so horrendous. I am eager to find the hope.

The Via Gracia where were we are staying is lovely, and camp style. A delicious dinner was prepared for us and we sat on seats made of animal skins. A few of us cleaned the dishes and we all enjoyed time visiting, sharing pictures and getting to know one another even better.

I am one of six women in a room, and I love the fact that women, no matter the age, love to talk, giggle and gossip. Oh the funny stories! I love hearing these women talk about their young daughters, teenage sons, husbands and wild adventures from the past.

After only a few short hours here, I have already been labeled as the animal whisperer. The German Shepherd and small orange cat have both sought (and of course happily received) my attention! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment