Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tegucigalpa

Wow! Today was filled with the taking in of even more information! I must admit I am probably acting like the families in the community - just give us the cow! I really wanted to arrive and see some of the projects immediately, but like Heifer's work in the communities, it is of even more importance than the cow itself to get the knowledge and training ahead of time. That being said... I'm incredibly excited to "get the cow" tomorrow! :)

We learned even more about how Heifer and its' partners go into the villages and work with the women to really make a difference.

After lunch we road into town, to the Heifer Honduras office. At the office we learned more about the amazing mission they have to help make communities independent. (Upon my return, all my fruits and veggies will be purchased at Murphree's or Pepper Place.)

We took a short tour through the city, stopping to go in two different churches. The churches were huge, majestic and of Spanish influence. While they are truly beautiful pieces of architecture, part of me just cannot be very amazed with anything after places like St. Peter's, Notre Dame and Westerminister Abbey, but none the less, they were beautiful.

A Hondurian historian wanted to speak with us, and since he was not feeling well, he graciously invited us into his home. He told us about the people, the culture and the problems of Honduras. The main problems seem to be a corrupt government and the exiting of so many. There are many men who leave the country in search of work who never return. Many people who can afford to go elsewhere do. Even two out of Mario's three children have moved to the States. After the depressing look into Honduras, Sara asked Mario what his favorite thing about his country is. I wish I could remember his exact words, but it was something to the effect of the strength of all the people, especially the women, who made it. Though they struggle, they make it. There it is again... a little flash of hope.

As we were driving back through the smog and the slums I decided that instead of letting any of it get me down, I'd look for hope, no matter how small it may be. Esperanza. You know, when you look for it, even among the extreme poverty, you can find it. I saw it in the children going home from school, through it all, they are still getting an education. I saw it in the puppies playing on the sidewalk, oblivious to all the hardships. I saw it in the smiles of the men as they laid on the trash heaps laughing and joking with one another.

I have a sneaking suspicion, if you look for it, hope actually is all around.

1 comment: