Thursday, July 10, 2014

Across Idaho

After the first try, I successfully folded up my pop-up tent and departed my campsite by 7:30am, ready for the next adventure.

The Going to the Sun road runs 50 miles east to west, and this morning, it took me 3 hours to travel that seemingly short distance. Of course there were things that slowed me down along the way: road work, big-horned sheep, men shoveling snow, and some incredible views! 


Scratching off their winter fur







It was hard to leave Glacier as there was so much I had not yet seen (including a bear!), but I will save that all for another day and another trip. I thought about staying longer, but I knew that even with a couple days more, I would still feel as though I had only scraped the surface.

I drove up to Whitefish where I had the real treat of meeting up with a fellow Alabamian, a friend of a friend whom I have been fortunate to get to know over the years. Wendy treated me to a great meal at the local golf course where we had sweeping views of the greens and mountain slopes.





We wandered throughout the small resort town taking in a few shops before I went on my way, with directions from Wendy on finding a more scenic route.




I drove through rural Big Sky Montana into Idaho and just inside the Washington state line. The views of mountains, green forests, pasture lands, old barns and crystal clear blue skies made for a perfect afternoon drive. After traveling across massive states, it was fun to "cut through" the narrow part of Idaho. The scenery was truly beautiful, but my favorite site may have been the gas station/market/laundromat/bar that I passed.


Miles traveled: 338
Gallons of gas purchased: 9.2

Hours in the car: 9
States: Montana, Idaho and Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment