Thursday, July 3, 2014

Far From Bad

The Badlands were something that I had heard of, something that I had seen on the map that was not far from the Black Hills National Forest, but that was really about all that I knew.  Last night, the lady checking me into my hotel told me about a loop road that I could take off of the interstate that would take me through Badlands National Park and then back on the interstate.  She said it was about a thirty minute drive and that it was well worth it.  Perfect!

So, I crossed the Missouri River leaving Chamberlain this morning and was immediately greeted by different landscape - there were suddenly rolling hills of green!  How nice to have a change!  The rolling hills didn't last long though, but they led into pasture land that was a welcome change from the cornfields.  The pasture lands are full of yellow flowering grasses (perhaps, canola?) and cows wandering about grazing.  There are very few trees and very little water.

I stopped at a rest stop and got a few pointers from a local there, but also noticed that they were selling CDs with information on them about South Dakota.  I was a bit intrigued, but then remembered that I had received an email from the tourist department (I must have gotten on a list when I booked this room for the holiday weekend months ago) that included audio guides.  They were free to listen to through their website, so for much of the trip today, I listened to my own personal tour guide who told me about different towns in South Dakota as well as some history of the area - well done, South Dakota tourism!

Along I-90, I started seeing signs for Prairie Dog Ranch, which intrigued me a little, because who doesn't love a little prairie dog?  But then, when it advertised for a giant prairie dog statue, I knew I had to stop.  Turns out, this little shop also sells unsalted peanuts to feed these friendly prairie dogs with!  These little creatures apparently lived here before the store, but the two have embraced one another and so for years these little guys have been fed by passers by and so now they are quite friendly.  Some of them ate from my hand while others watched nearby.

I often felt as though I was being watched.


After my rendezvous with the little cuties, I continued on into Badlands National Park.  I really didn't know what to expect, as I had said, I knew very little about the area, but because of my first spotting from the interstate, I knew I would enjoy it.  While traveling along I-90, all of the sudden, from the midst of the pastures, arose what appeared to be tall white cliffs.  In fact, I was immediately reminded of the White Cliffs of Dover.



Driving into the park, I was stunned, amazed at these rock formations and the extent to which they continued.  They reminded me of wet sand castles.  Have you ever taken wet sand in your hand and let it fall into its own little tower?  The sand clumps at the bottom and gets narrower at the top, but it does so in a sort of bumpy way.  These rock towers were of similar shapes, but the colors varied greatly through ranges of white, grey and red.  




The Badlands were originally named so by the Native Americans in the area who called it "land bad" due to its rugged terrain and lack of water, then also named by French fur-trappers as "bad lands to travel through."  The rocks formed almost a maze which could get any traveler confused about his/her original direction, but it would have also been an easy place for natives to the area to hide and defend. 



So astounded by the beauty of this area, the 40 mile loop road took me over two-hours due to my frequent stops to take photos!  But, I just couldn't resist these beautiful Badlands!



As I exited the loop road, I came into the small town of Wall.  I decided I also needed to stop here due to the relentless advertising for Wall Drug that was on I-90.  It advertised that Wall Drug had just about everything under the sun, but was most famously known for their 5c coffee and free ice water.  The small downtown looked very much like an old western town, but the "drug store" was a site to see, for sure.  It was like its own small town, a full two city block that inside included road signs, a chapel, individual stores such as book stores, candy shops, jewelry stores and much more.


While in Wall, I also stopped at the "Lube and Expresso Bar" for an oil change.  After the nice mechanic changed the oil in my car, he then made me a smoothie.  A man of many trades!

I journeyed into the Black Hills National Forest where I met up with Melissa and her family at Reptile Gardens, a sort of reptile zoo with an enormous amount of reptiles!  Melissa and I are sorority sisters, we were suite mates at Auburn and have also been traveling companions.  Six years ago, Melissa and I along with a couple others went to Paris together.  Now, Melissa lives in Minnesota with her husband and two precious little boys.  I have been to Minnesota twice to see Melissa: once for a fun visit and once for her wedding.  I had hoped to see her again in Minnesota, but while I was there, she was in Wyoming.  So, we have crossed paths here in the Black Hills National Forest while I'm heading west and she's heading east to home.  It is so nice to be with a friend and get to spend some time with her family!

Charlie petting the tortoise (yes, it's real!)
Melissa, Charlie and a little prairie dog

Oh no, Eddie!

Sure, I may have traveled through the Badlands today, but since I was not on horseback nor lacking water, I thought the journey was far from bad!

Miles traveled: 251
Gallons of gas purchased: 5.6

Hours in the car: 5.5
States: South Dakota

No comments:

Post a Comment