Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Flooded with Memories

I know that on this trip, I will make lots of new memories, but yesterday, on my first day of my travels, I was flooded with memories. This was probably in large part due to the fact that I was still generally in my little corner of the US in places that I had been before, but nonetheless, I loved allowing these old memories to occupy my mind during my travels.

As I drove through Huntsville, I remembered driving there my freshman year of college to watch as my high school soccer team played for the state title.

Nashville brought back memories of when Monica and went to Vanderbilt for the weekend to visit fellow high school graduates. And thoughts of just a few weeks ago when fellow teachers and I traveled to Nashville to cheer on a friend running her first ever marathon.

But it was St. Louis that had the strongest pull of memories yesterday. 

Growing up, the church was a second home for me. A place where I spent all of my extra time and a place I eagerly signed up for anything that was offered. In the summer of 1998 (I think!) and then again in 2001, our summer youth mission trips were to St. Louis. We slept on cots in Sunday school rooms of a big Methodist church and led a Bible School at a small church in a different part of town. I still remember one of my favorite students I taught that summer, Alison. I loved her spunk and wit. I remember over hearing a conversation she and another child were having:
Child: Ew, why are you eating carrots?
Alison: Because they are good for your eyes.
Child: How do you know that?
Alison: Have you ever seen a rabbit wearing glasses?

In the evenings, we spent time enjoying the city by going to a Cardinals game (where I saw Mark McGwire hit a home run the year he beat the single season record for home runs), visiting the arch and shopping at the mall (where I bought the toe ring that remains on my toe).

So yesterday, when I arrived, it was essential that I first visit the arch and take more photos just as I had done fifteen years ago (despite having to navigate through downtown traffic and construction work and having a word or two with Siri):
Mission Trip Team 1998

Mission Trip Team 2001


Recently, when I was telling someone about my travels, she mentioned that there was a big Superman statue and museum on the way to St. Louis in Metropolois, Illinois. I decided that sounded like fun, so I had to stop by! But when I went looking for pictures of my previous St. Louis trips, I also found a picture of our team by this statue... Although I have absolutely no recollection of us posing for a photo. Which is why I guess, that I felt I needed to stop again and take another photo:
Mission Trip Team 2001


But it wasn't just memories from my childhood that flooded my memory. It was days of just five years ago as well! When I realized that my first day of driving would take me about to St. Louis, I got in touch with Lori to see if we could meet up for dinner. She instead offered me a home-cooked dinner and a place to stay! I spent a truly lovely evening with her, catching up and enjoying a truly delicious home cooked meal that I know I'll be without for quite sometime.

Five years ago, Lori and I were both part of a team that traveled to Honduras with Heifer International. We both work with children (Lori directs a youth choir and drama team at a large local church) and we were selected to take part in a trip with Heifer just for educators so that we could learn more about Heifer's work and spread word about its incredible mission. We had a wonderful time seeing the country and seeing what Heifer was doing to truly change the world.

What a wonderful way to spend my first day on my road trip: remembering the past while making new memories along the way (and staying in a lovely home as opposed to hotel!).

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for continuing to share your adventures. I look forward to seeing what the summer holds for you. Prayers with you on your journey.

    Sherri Reynolds

    ReplyDelete