Friday, July 18, 2014

Amongst Giants

This morning, I decided to take full advantage of the small town I was staying in before rushing on, after all, it’s my schedule.  I drove back out to Sunset Cove where I was last night and continued on the dead end road to the state park.  Here, I observed seals from afar barking at one another, walked along the beach looking for special rocks and watching seagulls, then exploring the surrounding woods in search of a letterbox.






I finally set off on the road and took the scenic route: seeing lighthouses, rocky coasts, sandy beaches, and active seagulls.  The coast in southern Oregon seemed to be one very large state park, a true gift to visitors to keep its beauty safe, but for me, the traveler, it sort of made things more difficult.  Why?  Well, every half-mile to mile, there were signs for lookouts.  So, no, I didn’t stop at each and every lookout, but I did have a hard time passing one by.  I always wonder, but what if that is the prettiest one around?  Oh well, that is why I was in no hurry, right?  I was just here to enjoy the beauty!




I crossed the California border and soon found a visitor center where I could question the ranger.  I told her that I had always wanted to see the redwood trees, but now that I was here, I wasn’t really sure what to see and do.  You see, there are a handful of Redwood State Parks as well as one Redwood National Park in the area, and of course I wanted to try to find the best spots to visit.  She was wonderful, and decided that in the time I had left today, I could drive through and do a short walk about in the state park that was close by before driving down towards the motel where I had made a reservation.  Then, she made some suggestions for tomorrow as well.

So, today, I drove a few miles east to Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park and drove the six miles from one side of the park to the other.  I started into the park and must admit that I was a bit disappointed.  The trees were large, but nothing all too much larger than the trees right outside of my front door.  But then, it happened.  I rounded a corner and suddenly those near mythical giants appeared.  The incredible size, and beauty of these creatures was truly breath-taking and I was in awe at every turn of this narrow gravel road.  Driving along, I couldn’t help but think of the classic question: “When a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?”  After seeing the size of these trees, I’m surprised we don’t all feel the earth shake when one of these trees falls to the earth.
 
Do you see a face?  And for domes size comparison, do you see Herman?





These quiet giants create their very own environment, sheltering the forest floor and providing for a damp, dark area where ferns flourish.  The gargantuan trees seem to reach the heavens, and perhaps they have a special connection with the heavens.  They have been here for millions of years, much longer than we humans.  They’ve adjusted through earthly changes and still manage to stand strong.

I must admit that I first became curious to see these giant creatures after watching a classic Disney movie, The Gnome Mobile as a child.  I have not watched the film in years, and so I don’t honestly remember much of the plot.  I don’t really remember the trees being an important part of the story, but just that is where the gnomes lived.  Walking amongst the trees, I guessed why Disney chose to make the film here, for I felt like a gnome amongst the giants.


After dinner, I went back to the beach to see, once again, if I could catch the sunset across the Pacific Ocean.  I saw a bit more color tonight, but still the fog blocked the sun from shining her colors on the ocean.



I felt incredibly small today, looking at the size of the ocean and the height of the redwoods around me, but sometimes, we all need that reminder that we are just small creatures amongst giants.

Miles: 187
Hours in the car: 7
Gallons of gas purchased: 9.6

States: Oregon and California

No comments:

Post a Comment