Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Corn Fields

This morning, after a lovely breakfast with Lori, I set out and headed north.  For the first time in my life, I had no idea where I would be spending the night.  Sure, I know that many people travel this way, but if you know me at all, you know that I am a planner - to the extreme.  Of course I had a general idea of what town I might make it to, but that was it.  And I must admit, it felt good.

I spent some time looking at the map and at the Roadtrippers app to investigate if there was anything along my path that I should stop and see.  Only one thing stood out, and I'll get to that in minute, but nevertheless I was eager to see a new state.

Most of my drive was on a highway, which although it was 4 lanes, since there were no big exits or overpasses, it felt much less "concretey" (and yes, we'll just say that that is a word!).  It was a very pleasant, easy drive with much to see along the way.  I saw beautiful cornfields dancing in the wind, big red barns, tall silos, a herd of cows crowded under the one tree in their pasture, cornfields, lovely farm houses, big barns, cornfields, silos, a handful of sheep, cornfields blowing in the wind, a few goats leaping about, big old barns, cornfields, two deer enjoying a recently harvested field, wind farms, cornfields, big barns, tall silos and oh yes, more cornfields.



Yes, it may have been a bit repetitive, but it was really beautiful.  For as far as the eye could see (which considering the flat landscape is pretty far), there were farms, of which 95% seemed to be growing corn.  The corn was at near harvest time meaning it was tall, full and green, and with the winds whipping through, it appeared to dance and sway.  About every half-mile to mile it seemed that in the middle of the cornfields there would be several big old barns, a couple of tall silos and a picturesque farmhouse, no doubt where the hard-working farmer and his family lived.

The one main attraction that Roadtrippers had suggested that was only 1.5 miles off of my track was a true gem: the future birthplace of Captain Kirk.

Not being a Star Trek fan at all, perhaps never even watching a full episode, I had to ask my dad which character was Captain Kirk (I know, I know!), but nevertheless, who could pass up the opportunity to see a place with such futuristic insight?

I pulled into the little town, and by little I mean almost two full down blocks, and by blocks, I mean really just the front side of the block on the main street, only to realize that I had only programmed in the town to my GPS, not the actual marker that I was hoping to see.  Not a problem, I thought, this town can't be that big.  I found a little park where I pulled over hoping it might be there, but it was not, so I did a little research.  I had seen a small, um, museum, with a spaceship out front, but it was only open from 10-4 on Thursday-Saturday, and the plaque I had seen in the picture was outside.  I found this information online though: "The Kirk conception plaque is just down the street, on the right, under the pool table at Murphy's Bar and Grill.  The birthplace marker is a block further, also on the right, behind the New Image Salon."  Seriously?  I decided not to crawl around on the floor of a bar to find the first marker, so I set out looking for the salon, should be easy enough in a two block town.  The town had that typical small town, downtown look of two-story brick buildings that are all connected to form one long row.  However, in the second block there was a break in the middle where a small pale yellow trailer sat.  Beside this New Image Salon there was a narrow trail to the back of it and there, I found this treasure:




Yes, I felt like quite the futuristic nerd, but I must admit those are the sorts of random treasures I hope to find on my journey!

I took a break in Cedar Rapids, Iowa for a meal and to cheer on Team USA.  I was of course disappointed in the loss, but I enjoyed watching the game with others who were yelling and cheering at the TV and certainly proud of the effort of our team.  While I was there I planned my destination for the night and now I am here, just inside my next state of Minnesota in a little lake town called Albert Lea.

One might think that a day full of cornfields wouldn't be that exciting, but I would disagree!

Miles traveled: 471
Gallons of gas purchased: 16.7
Hours in the car: 8.5
States: Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota

No comments:

Post a Comment