Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Half-Pint and Pipes

Today was my first real destination, and I had so much fun!  Sure, I have already seen some incredible places along my journey, but today was the first day where I got to visit a site that I had really set out, planned to visit.

When planning my trip, Mt. Rushmore was really probably my first big destination, a place I really wanted to get to and a place I am eager to see tomorrow, I realized that I could easily put one of Laura Ingalls Wilder's homes on my journey.  So, today, I left Albert Lea and headed west (and just a little bit north) to get to Walnut Grove.

Soon after my journey began, I came upon a small town called Blue Earth.  I loved the name of it, however, I couldn't think of a real reason to stop, until I saw a billboard for a huge Jolly Green Giant statue, so of course that gave me great reason to stop, especially because I could see it from the interstate.  What a treasure! :)


I soon turned off of the interstate onto a two lane highway headed toward Walnut Grove.  I loved being on smaller road because those are the places where you really see treasures: small towns, farmers hard at work, what life is really like in this part of the country.  Although the day had started out cloudy, the skies soon opened up to a crystal clear blue sky with a sunshine warming the temperatures into the low 70s - yes, in July.


Population: 39


I arrived in Walnut Grove and was immediately excited, realizing that this was a truly perfect place to stop.  The small town (with a posted population of 871) was quaint and had fully embraced Laura's history and yet, they did not over-embrace the history that sometimes leads to tackiness.


Main Street of Walnut Grove
Now, I must admit that I have only read a few of the Little House collection, but the stories hold a special place in my heart as I believe they do for many.  My mom always talked about her fourth grade teacher reading Little House in the Big Woods right after lunch and how that was her favorite time of day.  I am absolutely thrilled when one of my students decides to read one of her stories as I love seeing the lasting effect that the books have.  But I think the biggest reason these stories are so special to me, actually goes back to my babysitter, Stephanie.  Stephanie would stay with me when my parents were out of town, and sometimes if given the choice to stay with Stephanie or go with my parents, I'd choose to stay at home with her.  She was (and is!) just so much fun!  We would eat bagel bites, play games, and watch recorded episodes of Little House on the Prairie.  We watched as "half-pint" would make a mistake and then Charles would always come along to fix things.  We'd laugh at Nellie's shenanigans and cry as the family lost someone near and dear to them.  So, I guess I can thank her for my love of Laura Ingalls Wilder.

I visited the small museum with history about Laura, her family, the town and what life was like in Minnesota in the late 1800s.  I got quite lost not knowing all of the history myself, because much of the history had to do with her parents' family and her husbands' family as well as of course her own.  What I got most out of the museum was that Laura seemed to have lived in about as many states as I've seen on my travels so far - wow!  And of course those moves didn't involve finding a new home through a realtor, but truly setting out and starting a new life.  Walnut Grove was Laura's childhood home where she lived "On the Banks of Plum Creek."



Nellie's Cafe where I enjoyed caramel apple pie


My mom had done some research yesterday into my travels for the day and realized I would be passing by a National Park called "Pipestone."  She said it sounded interesting and it was truly right on my path, so it was added to my journey.

The landscape throughout southern Minnesota has been very similar to Iowa: flat farm lands.  They are truly beautiful, but that made this place even more special and unique.  In this one spot there is a quarry where Indian tribes for thousands of years have harvested the red stone because it is "soft" enough to carve.  The Native Americans used this stone for carving pipes, specifically peace pipes.  These pipes and the rock made to make these pipes was highly valued for its rarity, but the peace pipes were highly valued because of the meaning behind them.  These pipes were used for different tribal leaders to smoke together as they would begin discussing options for peace rather than war.  Today this area is still sacred to many.



I enjoyed the beauty of the landscape with a small waterfall, shimmering creek, red rocks and surrounding prairie lands.



My westward journey continued into South Dakota where the landscape remained fairly similar until I came upon the small town of Chamberlain where I am staying the night.  The land had been fairly flat, green pastures and then all of a sudden, it was like I had been on a high plain because I was descending (which is a very odd feeling when you feel like you've been flat on the ground) upon the Missouri River.  Right across the river there appeared these rocky, jagged looking hills.  Tomorrow, I cross the river and explore a whole new landscape!

This photo was taken about 9pm.  I'm at the cusp of the next time zone, so I'm loving the late sunlight while it lasts!

And you thought "Half-Pint and Pipes" was going to be about something really different, didn't you? 

Miles traveled: 406
Gallons of gas purchased: 14

Hours in the car: 7.5
States: Minnesota and South Dakota

Best 'line' of the day: 
Ranger: You're from Alabama?
Me: Yes, sir!
Ranger:Did you come with a banjo on your knee?

No comments:

Post a Comment