Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Portland

I had always heard wonderful things about Portland, but I didn’t really know what to expect, nor did I really know what I wanted to see in this city.  But after a quick visit, I must say that I am thrilled that this city was on my route.

As many people told me, Portland is a big city with a small town feel.  Both friends that I visited lived in a beautiful, green grid-system neighborhood, but were only a short walking distance to a street with restaurants, bars, and shops.  Not high rises or chain restaurants, but unique one and two-story store fronts.  Neighborhoods have events throughout the summer such as farmers’ markets and times when roads are closed to vehicles so that friends and neighbors can get out to enjoy the city and one another’s company.

Portland is a very bike-friendly area, so much so that lanes around the city are dedicated to this commuter traffic.  There are public water fountains throughout the downtown area and lots of green parks.  Recycling of all kinds is easy to do in the city and their public transportation is abundant.  I was so impressed with all that Portland is doing to limit the footprints its people are leaving behind.

When I asked Marie what her favorite thing about Portland was, she said it was how accepting the people were.  Coming from the south, she was nervous about dressing to fit in in a big city, but she quickly learned that didn’t matter at all.  In Portland, it seems people are free to dress, think and act as they wish without anyone putting them down.  What a freeing place to be!

I started my morning downtown enjoying seeing the everyday occurrences there: children playing in fountains, farmers’ markets and a day care enjoying playing in the public parks.  I visited Powell’s a huge (multi-story, city-block sort of huge) new and used bookstore.  It was quite overwhelming, but enjoyed perusing the shelves looking for treasures.  Then, I visited the History Museum: a very well done museum illustrating Oregon’s history from the Native Americans to the explorers to those who braved the Oregon trail to modern day.
Tree-lined streets full of food trucks!
Today, I got to catch up with another fellow Fulbrighter and his family.  Jeff is a teacher in Portland who was placed about two hours north of me in England.  It was so wonderful to see he, his wife and two fabulous children, catching up on the end of our years in England, the adjusting at home, and this past school year.  They took me to two beautiful waterfalls that appeared to start at the bottom of the sky: reaching tall heights where the water cascaded down on its way to the Columbia River.

They treated me to a delicious home-cooked meal then a walk to the local ice cream place for dessert.  The line was long, which showed the popularity and obvious deliciousness of this local spot.  The flavors were quite intriguing and so I decided I should try one of the oddest of all: black raspberries and smoked ham.  Yes, you read that correctly, ham.  It was delicious!  The taste of berries stood out over the ham that just added a small salty flavor.




I’m learning that I can learn much more about a place by catching up with friends from the area even if it seems I don’t see a whole lot of the city.  It is those human connections that make a place real.  I’m thankful to have friends all over the world!

Miles traveled: 11
Gallons of gas purchased: 0

Hours in the car: 2 (Jeff drove some!)
States: Oregon

No comments:

Post a Comment