Monday, July 28, 2014

Four Corners

Today, I was able to be in four states at once. No, it's not a magic trick, but rather the only spot in our great country where there are four states that meet at one location: Four Corners. It is here that four squarish states: Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Colorado meet.

Even from our hotel (which was the closest one around), it took us two hours to get to Four Corners. There is truly nothing near by. I have found lots of nothing on this journey, so much in fact that I no longer feel I can tell people I grew up in the middle of no where. Far from that actually!

I must admit that while I really wanted to see this attraction, I was a bit apprehensive. I feel like many of the attractions in our country that involve the Native Americans are of quite depressing and I'm often overcome with grief so that the attraction becomes less "attractive." That is not what I encountered today! 

After waiting in short line (yeah for our timing!), and posing in multiple ways at the actual meeting of the four states, we looked around at the booths. Out from each corner, there was a row of booths where local artisans would sell their creations of pottery, jewelry, belt buckles, paintings and more. The people were eager to chat, friendly, proud and not at all pushy. If you ever find yourself in this middle of no where, I'd recommend stopping by. Your challenge? Come up with your own unique pose.

We drove on to our next destination, several hours away: Santa Fe. I had heard for years of Santa Fe's beauty, mainly from my parents who loved the artsy mountain town and I was eager to see it. We splurged a bit on the hotel so that we could be in the middle of town and enjoy what the city had to offer without having to get back in the car. 

The city reminds me a bit of New Orleans with narrow streets and two-to-three story buildings with upstairs balconies, a square in the center of town with large old trees and a gazebo where musicians entertain those passing by. A beautiful city, well taken care of with a great southwestern flare.


If your wallets were larger than mine, you could buy fancy cowboy boots and matching hats or unique artwork designed by those lucky enough to call this place home. You could have purchased jewelry adorned with turquoise and pottery still created in ways developed by those who first lived here. We did however find fun things to purchase in little knick-knack stores and jewelry vendors set up on the street.

Now we are off to enjoy a night on the town and hoping to find some delicious foods and perhaps even a good margarita!

Miles traveled: 353
Hours in the car: 6
Gallons of gas purchased: 6

States: Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Colorado






No comments:

Post a Comment