Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Three Digit Temps

For most of this upcoming week, I'll be exploring the beautiful scenery that southern Utah has to offer.  Tonight, I'm camping at Zion National Park after exploring the wonders that this place has to offer. 

Stepping out of my car after claiming one of the last tent spaces available, I realized something: it's hot. Like over 100 kind of hot. But don't worry, this Alabama girl knows how to handle heat: go indoors to the AC or get in the water. Sadly, my tent did not come with any AC, a design flaw I realize, so that left option 2.

I heeded the great advice from the ranger who suggested I go to the end of the canyon where the long, legendary trails of the Narrows begins. The Narrows are not as much of a trail, but rather following the river up where the canyon gets narrower. I did not come mentally or physically prepared to hike up a river, but I didn't want to not do it. The hike is something like 16 miles. I may have completed a mile. But walking in a flowing river with water half-way up your shins that you can't see through is tricky. The big rocks on the bottom of the river bed made walking an effort of balance and concentration. It was beautiful though, and well worth the wet feet, especially since the water felt as if it was coming from snowmelt somewhere up stream. That certainly helped deal with the three digit temps!


Reflections in the mud


Along the pathway, there were lots of signs about not feeding the wildlife, but I believe the squirrels all thought we had not read the signs. The little beggars were incredibly friendly and I even had to move out of their way several times along the path. I stopped one time to sit on a bench in the shade. The squirrels quickly flocked to me, sniffing my feet and just hoping I'd drop something to nibble on. One even jumped up on the bench with me and when he smelled the apple in my bag, he started chewing on my bag!

I got back on the shuttle bus (the only way to travel inside Zion) and traveled a few stops down to try out another hike. The air had cooled a little and this hike again sought water and mostly shade. This hike climbed up to three connected and yet beautifully unique patches of water. The first one I came across, the lower pool, was not very large, but the water trickling down from the overhanging rock was cool and refreshing. The climbs up to the middle and high pools were quite, um, vertical, but the climb was worth the serenity at the end: a still pool surrounded by large rocks in the shade, inviting hikers to sit and enjoy, so I did.


The Lower Pool

Middle Pool

Oasis at the High Emerald Pool



I spotted a friendly face on my way back!

I went into Springdale, the precious little down just outside of the park is alive with gift shops, restaurants and motels. I enjoyed some southwest food while peering out at the tall red peaks surrounding me before heading back to tuck myself into my tent.

Miles traveled: 90
Hours in the car: 2 (and 1.5 on a shuttle bus)
Gallons of gas purchased: 4.1
States: Nevada, Arizona and Utah

No comments:

Post a Comment