Thursday, July 31, 2014

Finding my Southern Roots

In Vacation Bible School, SO many years ago, Miss Debbie told us about Heifer International.  All week long, we brought in loose change and small donations and at the end of the week, we had enough to purchase a goat for a family in need.  That stuck with me.

Over the years, my family and I gave gifts of animals through Heifer International.  Eventually, I got the school involved in Read to Feed where the children raised money for Heifer.  I applied for and was granted an incredible opportunity to travel with Heifer with fellow teachers from across the country (remember Lori who I stayed with in St. Louis?) to Honduras to see the work they are doing there.  A few years ago, Mom and I traveled to the Heifer Ranch in Arkansas for a women's lambing weekend where we got to watch lambs and kids being born.  Needless to say, Heifer holds a very dear place in my heart.

So, I planned it just right so that I could be at Heifer headquarters in Little Rock this morning as I travel homeward.  I enjoyed, once again, learning more about their mission of ending world hunger through sustainable education world-wide.  Despite my seemingly vast knowledge of Heifer, I am continuously impressed with the great work that it does.  The more I learn, the more I love this organization!



Herman and I enjoyed the small museum and the gift shop where I purchased my very own goat tube.  Yes, goat tube.  This tube is just the right height to hold 480 quarters.  Any idea was can be purchased with 480 quarters?  That's right, a goat!  I'm excited to add it to my classroom next year.

I continued driving southward.  Crossing the Mississippi River was quite the thrilling experience.  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love to travel, and I would not have traded this road trip for anything, but I am a southern girl, and proud of it.  Once again being east of the Mississippi felt good, it felt right, and although still miles from home, I felt at home.

Eager to get home, but hungry and hating to pass up one more stop, I stopped in Memphis and wandered down the famous Beale Street, known for its blues music and BBQ.  


Decisions as to what to eat were quite the challenge as I wanted just about everything on the menu, thrilled to see so much fried food again.  I went with, and was not disappointed by, a bar-b-que sandwich and sweet potato fries.  This southern girl was in hog heaven (pun intended).


With a full belly and a happy heart, I headed home, on my last stretch.  I had some trouble somewhere around Jasper.  Of course I would get lost less than 50 miles from home!  After finally finding my way through road construction and a GPS that did not know about it, I drove into Birmingham and arrived HOME where my wonderful parents were eagerly awaiting my arrival!


What a truly epic adventure I have had, one that will never be forgotten, one that I am SO glad I took!  But for now, I'm glad to be home!


Until my next adventure... :)


Miles traveled: 435
Hours in the car: 7
Gallons of gas purchased: 4.8
States: Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Sweet Home Alabama


No comments:

Post a Comment