Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Small World

Do you remember me saying that we may go out for a margarita?  Well... I will blame it on Santa Fe's extremely high altitude, but this morning I did not feel well.  In fact, this early bird barely got out of bed before lunchtime.  BUT everything happens for a reason!

My grandmother (and my namesake), Becky, was also in Santa Fe at the same time traveling with a friend.  She only lives about two hours from me, and it is not common for her to travel, so this was quite an exciting adventure for her.  I was unsure of exactly what my timing to Santa Fe would be, so we had not planned to meet up, but when I realized I would be here when she was, I began calling her cell phone.  And calling.  And calling.  So, here I was, staying in the same city as my grandmother, but not having any idea how to find her.


I had planned on getting an early start, knowing that I had a long road ahead of me, but my morning did not go as planned.  When I finally emerged, I wanted to find a small bite to eat, so I found a smoothie and a muffin.  I decided to make the most of the town before heading out again, and so I took my midday breakfast into the park where I planned to find a bench and enjoy a little people watching.


On one such bench, I spotted my grandmother and her travel companions!  Boy, did I surprise her!  What fun to truly run into someone from home so far away from home.  So, because I was not feeling so well, I got a late start to my day, and because I got a late start to my day, I got to see and spend some time with my grandmother.  See, it was all for good reason!




I had heard stories of Santa Fe's famed Canyon Road and so before leaving town, I decided I should explore it just a bit.  This narrow lane is jam-packed with talent.  Each small gallery was overflowing with whimsical creations, exquisite artwork, hand-made furniture, statues made out of just about anything you could imagine and ornate pottery.  I enjoyed wandering in a few of these galleries with intimidating price tags, but I must admit that home is beginning to call me.

I'm sorry that I left Santa Fe for the end of my travels because once I begin to head home, well, it seems I am always very ready to get there.  I'll have to return to this city another time to discover all of the treasures I left still buried.


Once again in my travels today, I drove through vast expanses of nothingness, what seemed like an ocean of desert as far as the eye could see.  Tonight, the sunset was in my rear view mirror.  At the beginning of my journey, it seemed to be my destination, but now, it is where I have been.


Miles traveled: 283
Hours in the car: 5
Gallons of gas purchased: 11.8

States: New Mexico and Texas

Best Quote: Woman checking me in at the motel: "I know where Vestavia is!  I was in jail there!"

No comments:

Post a Comment