Sunday, July 6, 2014

Big Sky

We all look at the same sky, right? How is that some people see more of it than others? I've always heard of Montanta's "Big Sky," but I'm not sure I believed it until today. I am still baffled as to how exactly it appears bigger than the sky that the rest of us see, especially since there are snow-capped mountains in the distance and rolling hills of pastureland all around. Perhaps it is the lack of trees that seems to increase the visible skyline. No matter what it is though, at very turn, I was utterly amazed at the vastness of the country that surrounded me.

The Rockies

A view from Billings, Montana
The "middle of no where" suddenly has a new meaning to me, after driving miles upon miles without seeing signs of human life, but it is here that one sees the most the natural beauty of the land.






Today was a traveling day, covering many miles and entering into a whole new state. Although the country side is beautiful, the lack of people means there was not a lot of things to stop and see along the way besides stopping to take photographs of the enormousness that surrounded me. I finally got off of I-90, having traveled west on this interstate since Minnesota, and spent about half of today's journey on two-lane highways, passing signs I'm not used to seeing such as cattle crossing, elk crossing and a warning that horse-drawn carriages may be on the road. I saw some cows and a few small antelopes, but mostly I saw farm lands, obviously planted with a crop since the tall green grasses were in rows, and many fields were dry brown, a sign that they had already been harvested. But mostly what I saw, over and over, and was continuously in awe of was the big sky of Montana.


Miles traveled: 522
Gallons of gas purchased: 13.4

Hours in the car: 9
States: Wyoming and Montana

No comments:

Post a Comment