Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Climb Ev'ry Mountain

No, I didn't somehow cross into Austria, nor did I truly climb a mountain, but like Maria and her fellow Von Trapps, I did hike from one country into another. No, the Nazis weren't chasing me, but I did go in search of peace.

Early this morning, as the sun was rising, I headed north into Canada. Since the roads were quiet, along the way I saw a bald eagle, three young foxes and what the ranger thinks was a mink (although I was really hoping it might be a young wolverine!).



I went through border patrol into the park, and small town, of Waterton. Waterton is a beautiful little (meaning about 50 people live there in the winter) town, but it is just precious. It reminded me of small mountain towns of Austria (Maria would have loved it!). Two main blocks housed restaurants, gift shops, coffee houses and hotels decorated with hanging flower baskets of pink and purple. The Prince of Wales hotel stands on a hill overlooking the town and the lake, regal in name and setting.


I went to Waterton to be part of the International Peace Park hike and while I thoroughly enjoyed the hike, it was truly the significance of the hike that meant something to me. 

I met up with 18 fellow hikers from all over the US and Canada, along with a ranger from each country. We hiked along a narrow, sometimes steep path, stopping frequently for water on this warm day, to take advantage of the view and to talk about the significance of the Peace Park.



As the rangers explained: water, animals, fire, land formations, and plants see no boundaries in between the two countries.  And yet, we humans do. But here, the boundaries are less separated. Waterton and Glacier formed the very first International Peace Park, of which now there are 138. This means that the two parks work together to study and preserve these beautiful lands that see no boundaries.


Together, we hiked for about seven hours, stopping to visit, learn about plants, wildlife and the formation of this place. At the boarder, marked by two stone markings and a clearing in the trees, we stood on either side and shook hands.  We got to know one another, and in doing so, you immediately begin to appreciate new places and people.

Standing in two countries at once!

Our Rangers shaking hands across the border.
We ended our hike on the southern end of the lake at Goat Haunt. Here, we walked up to US border patrol who stamped our passports, then we caught a delightful boat ride back. It was a lovely time to finish chatting with people I had met and learn a little more about the area from our captain. (Two fun facts: 1) Black bears can be a plethora of different colors. 2) When they were building The Prince of Wales hotel, twice the wind blew the structure off its foundation.)

Border Patrol 



I ended my day in Waterton with a delicious pizza from Peace Park Pizza before heading back to Glacier and finally getting to see the glorious colors of the setting sun across the mountain peaks. As it begins to happen around 10, I had already been tucked in my tent by this time the other nights.


Although I'm sore, my muscles are tight, and the combined smell of sweat, bug spray and sunscreen lingers, I'm full of peace and hope for a brighter tomorrow.

"Climb ev'ry mountain, ford ev'ry stream. Follow ev'ry rainbow, 'til you find your dream." 

Miles traveled: 121
Gallons of gas purchased: 5.5

Hours in the car: 4
States: 
Montana and Canada (yes, I know that's not a state!)

No comments:

Post a Comment