Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Surry with the Fringe on Top

Today is a big milestone for me.  Today marks one month that I have been on this epic adventure.  It was also on this date one year ago today that Jessica and I climbed a mountain, Snowdon, in Wales.  And two years ago, I was in Washington, D.C., meeting my "life-swap" (if you don't know what I'm talking about, check out my Tales of a Traveling Teacher blog!) and staying in a hotel by myself for the first time.  Wow.  Just two years ago, the thought of staying in a hotel by myself seemed daunting.  Just look what I accomplished over this past month!

When planning my route home, I realized that I had two options: a little bit of Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas or all of Texas.  I opted for the first option just so I'd I have a bit more change of pace, or at least change of state.  This also meant I could sing cheesy musical songs as I traveled through Oklahoma.

As I neared Oklahoma City today, I began looking out for signs of Garth Brooks.  Garth, you see, is one of my very favorite people.  When I was in middle school, Garth Brooks came to Birmingham and I got to see him as my very first concert.  Although I've been to many others throughout the years, no one came close to impressing me like Garth did.  Over the years, I fell deeper in love with this musical talent, waking up early to rush and get his new CD, typing up the lyrics to help me learn the songs, and even naming a cat (who "sang" a lot) after him.  And yes, I was a bit heart-broken when he decided to stay home with his daughters rather than make music, but equally proud of him for choosing family.

I knew Garth was from somewhere near Oklahoma City, but I wasn't certain as to where until I passed the boulevard named after him and signs proudly claiming their famous resident.  I was just picking up my phone to call my best friend, Monica, a fellow Garth-lover whose first ever concert was also the king of country, when I got a text from her saying Garth was touring again, and he was coming to Atlanta!  Oh my goodness, I'm so excited!  I had always said that I would pay good deal money to see him again.  I just hope we can get tickets!

Another reason that I had planned on coming through Oklahoma was so that I could meet up with an old friend.  Jesse is my grand-big sister, meaning that she's my big sister's big sister in Alpha Xi Delta.  She was two years older than me at Auburn, and although we did not spend a whole lot of time together, she had a major impact on my life.  Jesse, also an education major, did her student teaching in New Zealand through the COST program.  After talking with her about that opportunity, I knew it was something I wanted to pursue.  Having the opportunity to teach in New Zealand was one of the most meaningful experiences I've had.  

Jesse and I have communicated sparingly since college, but when she saw that I was traveling the country, she got in touch to let me know she was in Oklahoma.  Just one more good reason to avoid driving days through Texas.

We decided to meet at the Oklahoma City Memorial, a museum and memorial dedicated to the 168 people that lost their lives in the bombing that took place there in 1995.  I remember the expression on my mom's face when she picked me up from 5th grade that day.  I don't really remember what was said, besides, "Something really bad happened today," but the tragedy of that day was, ever so lightly, etched into my memory.

Being so young, I really did not remember much of the horrors and devastation of that day.  The museum and memorial were absolutely stunning.  Full of stories of those that lost their lives, of those that survived, of those that helped and the outpouring of love that followed were heartbreaking, moving and inspiring.  

At one end of the reflecting pool, a gate marked with 9:01 and at the other, a matching gate marked with 9:03 surround the time of the bombing.
The Survivor Tree.  A lone tree, thought to be about 100 years old, that once stood in the parking lot of the now destroyed building that amazingly survived the bombing.  Its' blossoms were a sign of hope and strength for all who gathered around it to remember.
Each chair, representing a victim in the tragedy, is strategically placed to represent what floor he/she was on.  The small chairs represented the children that were killed.
Jesse and I were nearly silent as we left, blown away by what we had just seen, glad to have taken the time to visit the memorial.  But of course, we also needed some time to catch up, so although it was three in the afternoon, we drove on to Shawnee where Jesse is living and found a place to grab a late lunch.  Shawnee is actually the birthplace of two American icons: Brad Pitt and Sonic!  So, obviously, it was a place I enjoyed very much! :)


After miles and miles and miles of driving, the scenery tonight is starting to remind me a lot of home.  I am getting so close now, I can almost taste it! 

Miles traveled: 607
Hours in the car: 10
Gallons of gas purchased: 21.5

States: Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas

No comments:

Post a Comment